If you are a parent living in Pennsylvania whose child or children have been abducted and taken across international boundaries by the other parent, we can help. Even if you are in possession of a custody order from a Pennsylvania Court, you may encounter difficulties with foreign authorities to recognize your rights. While international law and treaties like the Hague Convention on Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction provides remedies, exercising these rights takes experience, skill and immediate action.

With over 30 years of family law experience, the Mulligan Law Firm is one of the few Northeastern Pennsylvania law firms that has successfully handled international child abduction cases. Our representation includes filing appropriate legal documents and working with the State Department and foreign authorities to find and bring your child home!


The Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction, also called the Hague Abduction Convention, has been in force in the United State since 1988. Since that time, 70 countries, including Canada, Mexico, the United Kingdom, France, Italy, and Spain, have joined. These 70 countries have pledged to return abducted children to other participating Hague Convention countries so long as they meet certain condition:: 

  • The child must have been a habitual resident of the Hague Convention country making the request. 
  • The child was under the age of 16 at the time of the request.
  • The child does not object to being returned, provided he or she is of sufficient age and maturity to make such a choice. 
  • The child would not face any grave risk of physical or psychological harm in his or her former country. 
  • The return would not violate the fundamental principles of human rights as recognized in the country receiving the request. 

Every Hague Convention nation processes and adjudicates these cases differently. The Mulligan Law Firm, however, has the experience to deal with the various signatory countries to bring your case to a successful conclusion. Attorney James Mulligan can help you make your case to the appropriate Court and/or authority in the country where your child is located. 

The trauma to a parent associated with the abduction of a child can be debilitating. Our legal team can give you the strength, support and resources you need to bring your child home. 

If your child has been removed from the United State by the other parent call the Mulligan Law Firm at 570-703-0269 or contact us by email at jimmulliganlaw@gmail.com.